Several area churches are opening their doors as a refuge for individuals and families vulnerable to freezing temperatures set to affect Lake County this week.
The cold-weather shelters will be operating during the overnight hours, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 a.m. on Wednesday, January 17 and Thursday, January 18 at the following locations:
· LifePointe Church, located at 3551 E. Orange Ave., Eustis
· First Baptist Church of Mount Dora, 1000 E. 1st Ave., Mount Dora
Warming stations have also been established at two locations, and will operate on Wednesday and Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
· Salvation Army, 2605 South St, Leesburg
· The Open Door, 115 Citrus Ave., Eustis
“We rely on our local non-profits and religious-affiliated organizations to help with humanitarian efforts during these types of cold-weather events,” said Tommy Carpenter, Director of Lake County’s Office of Emergency Management.
Florida Division of Emergency Management is reminding residents of the importance of the ''Five P's" of cold-weather tips.
1. Protect People: Remember to dress in layers and wear a hat and gloves. Try to stay out of the wind and to stay dry.
2. Protect Pets: If cold weather is in the forecast, be sure to bring outdoor pets inside or give them a warm shelter to stay in.
3. Protect Plants: Cover cold-sensitive plants to protect them from the dangerous temperatures.
4. Protect Pipes: Cover pipes and allow outdoor faucets to slowly drip to prevent them from freezing and breaking.
5. Practice Fire Safety: Use safe heating sources indoors. Do not use fuel-burning devices such as grills; they release carbon monoxide, which is a deadly gas. Also, make sure to use space heaters according to their instructions and be attentive to open flames.
For non-profit and religious organizations who wish to offer sheltering assistance, email Lake County Emergency Management at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for more news on local stores, restaurants, real estate and more. For more news and events in Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis, download the area's free mobile app. Free subscriptions to the monthly issue of Mount Dora Buzz are available here.
Write something about yourself. No need to be fancy, just an overview.