- The important search by the City of Mount Dora for a new city manager has been narrowed to 3 candidates, two from Florida and one from Michigan. The city manager oversees all of the city's departments and is critical in forging the direction, economic development, cohesiveness and fiscal health of a city. The city council is expected to make its final decision later this month. Stay tuned to 'The Buzz' for more details and updates.
- There are so many changes are coming to Donnelly Street you may need a scorecard to keep track: In the Renaissance Building, Lilly's boutique closed and Memories of Mount Dora is moving into the vacant space immediately behind Amy Sellers Gallery...meanwhile the building where Palm Tree Grille was located was reportedly sold. The restaurants last day of service was March 28. Stay tuned to find out what will occupy that space. Meanwhile, The building on the southeast corner of Donnelly & 3rd Avenue had two existing business expand, Wallace Fitness and Vangie Berry Signature Real Estate. Also in that building a new nail salon, Secret Nails & Spa, will be opening as soon as build out is complete. There are also changes coming to four more downtown properties.
- Drum roll please! The votes are in. Some of the gold award winners for Best of Mount Dora 2015 are listed further down on this page! More winners can be found at www.mountdorabuzz.com.
- The downtown historic building that was most recently occupied by The Painter's Daughter boutique and listed for sale at $875,000 was recently won at auction for close to half of that amount by the local landlord that owns the buildings of Merrill's Bistro and the Chef's Pantry. The two-story building was built in 1905.
- A new Mexican restaurant, Plaza Guadalajara, opened on US 441 in Mount Dora next to the Gold's Gym shopping center. Let us know about your experience.
- After seventeen wonderful years, the owners of downtown's Sterling Treasures are retiring. You can extend your best wishes and shop their big jewelry sale going on this month. 'The Buzz' wishes them a fun and relaxing future.
- It's the time of year for fresh, local blueberries. Spend a fun morning at one of the local U-Pick farms for a nice treat. Be sure to take in Mount Dora Blueberry Festival happening downtown later this month. If you need a list of the U-Pick farms you can find it at www.mountdorabuzz.com/buzz-blog. Details on the Blueberry Festival can be found on the calendar at www.MountDoraBuzz.com.
- The third phase of downtown's streetscape construction starts April 6 and continues to October 1. The affected streets are Donnelly between 4th and 3rd Avenues, as well as 4th Avenue between Alexander and Baker Streets. Burkhardt Construction returns as the project's contractor and will have their local office in the space formerly occupied by The Drawer on 4th & Donnelly Street.
- A new restaurant and club, Rhythms, is expected to open in downtown Eustis this month. The club will be located in the former location of Turkleton's Tavern and feature casual dining, a full bar, live music inside, as well as outside in their courtyard. Stay tuned to www.Facebook.com/MountDoraBuzz for an opening date.
- A new establishment, Hemingway's Wine & Cigar Bar, opened in Tavares at 126 W. Ruby Street and offers beer and wine, as well as meat and cheese plates to nibble on.
- Paradise Cafe, a new diner, also recently opened downtown. The new diner serves a casual breakfast and lunch in its Main Street location. The operator formerly owned a restaurant on the second floor of downtown Mount Dora's Renaissance Building.
FABULOUS FINDS & HOT DEALS
There is so much to discover in our area. Here are just a few of this month's 'Fab Finds' when shopping and dining local:
- The recycled mailbags at Zen Cowgirl are perfect totes for shopping and the beach. (Renaissance Building, Donnelly Street, downtown Mount Dora)
- Big 40% off jewelry sale at Sterling Treasures, on Donnelly Street. Downtown Mount Dora.
- The place with the absolute best omelettes, Mount Dora Brewing, is open Easter Sunday. (Highland Street, uptown)
- Love the Florida Sunshine spice blend at the Spice & Tea Exchange for a quick grilled chicken or salmon (Donnelly St., downtown Mount Dora)
- For baby showers, the ChewBeads teething necklaces at Papilio are a huge hit. (5th Avenue., downtown Mount Dora)
- Want morning comfort food? The new biscuits and gravy at Cody's on 4th is heavenly. (4th Avenue, downtown)
- The banana & key lime wine smoothies at Julianne's Coastal Cottage are perfect for "Girls' Night In". (4th Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
- Too early in the day for wine? Try the delish Frappe Delight frozen drinks at Cupcake Delights. (4th Avenue, downtown Mount Dora.)
- Take advantage of the Shop Mount Dora resource page atwww.Facebook.com/ShopMountDora for big sales and great finds throughout the month.
BEST OF MOUNT DORA 2015 READERS' CHOICE WINNERS
Congrats to the winners!! Here are just a few of the winners. The complete list of winners is available at http://www.mountdorabuzz.com/articles/congrats-to-the-best-of-mount-dora-winners
- Best Cup of Coffee: Village Coffee Pot
- Best Bartender: Pisces Rising
- Friendliest Customer Service: Julieanne's Coastal Cottage
- Best Place to Grab a Beer: Mermaid Juice
- Best Accommodations: Mount Dora Historic Inn & Cottages
- Best 'Date Night' Restaurant: Goblin Market
- Best Burgers: Frog & Monkey Restaurant
- Best Place to Buy Gifts: The Spice & Tea Exchange
- Best Pizza: PizzAmore
- Best Ethnic Food: Copacabana Cuban Cafe
- Best Festival or Event: Mount Dora Art Festival
To subscribe to the free, monthly Mount Dora Buzz go towww.MountDoraBuzz.com/subscribe.
THIS MONTH'S 'SHOUT-OUT'
April's shout-out goes to two businesses that have invested in downtown Mount Dora and turned neglected properties into gems. The separate vision and investment of Lisa's Cottages LLC and Toby Turner Construction have greatly
improved the aesthetic, and likely the property values, of the neighborhoods they invest in. Thank you!
Get more local news at www.MountDoraBuzz.com and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/MountDoraBuzz