In case you missed it, below is this month's scoop for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis. You can also read more recent articles on a variety of local topics and events here.
- It's time for the 2016 Best of Mount Dora awards. Our readers can vote for their favorites in twenty categories including best pizza, wine bar, customer service, restaurants, shopping and many more. Voting is until July 10. Cast your ballot here.
- It's almost halfway through the summer break and parents often struggle to stay sane while attempting to keep their kids busy. The Summer Sanity Guide for local parents is a quick cheat sheet of how to keep kids of all ages occupied this summer. Read more
- It's rare, yet the local risk is real. Deadly amoebas can be found in Florida's freshwater lakes and hot springs, as well as in under-chlorinated swimming pools. The organisms enter swimmers through their nose. Read more
- As we reported last month, Epic Theatres finally broke ground in Mount Dora. The big grand opening is expected in summer of 2017. The theater will be state-of-the-art with lots of bells and whistles. Read more
- America's favorite pastime is alive and well just up the road. Leesburg Lightning still has plenty of home baseball games this summer. It's a fun way to spend some time outdoors in a nostalglic setting. Read more
- Eustis' new splash pad for kids opened last month at the Eustis Aquatic Center in Ferran Park. The refreshing attraction is open Monday through Saturday and has a three dollar admission. Read more
- If you are planning to travel on Wolf Branch Road in Mount Dora, you may want to choose an alternate route. A portion of the road will be closed through August 1. Read more.
Scroll down for all the new restaurant and store news.
- Readers can show their favorite local restaurants some love in the 2016 Best of Mount Dora awards. This year there are seven different categories for restaurants, plus thirteen other categories. Cast your ballot here.
- Barrel of Books and Games on 4th Avenue in downtown Mount Dora just expanded its space and is moving its sister store, Alleyway Comics, inside. Shoppers can now stop in for the new issue of Mad Magazine and a New York Times bestseller.
- Zen Cowgirl, the popular Bohemian and equine boutique moved from its downtown Mount Dora location. Loyal fans of the store can see their custom farm tables and redesigned furniture in its Altamonte Springs location inside The Mill.
Painting with a Twist, a new 'sip and paint' franchise opened last week in Mount Dora. The studio is geared toward entertainment rather than formal painting lessons which differentiates it from other venues. Read more.
- Two new stores are set to open this month. Love, Home, Harmony plans to open this week on 4th Avenue next to Cupcake Delights. Read more. Desire, a women's apparel boutique, will open later this summer.
Watch the Mount Dora Buzz Facebook page for daily news updates for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis.
NEWS IN A NUTSHELL