Good news! There are big signs of progress at the future site of Epic Theatres in Mount Dora. Exterior walls have finally been erected for the area's long-awaited movie theater. Movie lovers will be watching blockbusters in reclining seats in 2018. Read more
Time to start looking for the perfect pumpkin. We're giving you a jumpstart with this list of the best local pumpkin patches. Read more.
After Hurricane Irma ripped through the area in September, debris piles are looming large. Due to volume, the debris collection process is expected to take a while. Mount Dora, Tavares and Eustis have different information about requirements and pick up. Read more
There are plenty of Halloween activities this month in Mount Dora, Tavares and Eustis. Find some of the events for kids here and others here.
October is a huge month for local events as temperatures slowly (very slowly) start to cool. Fans of the arts can take in Mount Dora's Art Splash on October 13 and Lake County Folk Festival on October 14 in Eustis. If that doesn't float your boat, Florida Wildlife Festival is October 21 and the Steampunk and Industrial Show on October 22-23 provides stellar people-watching and live music. Not to be forgotten is the Mount Dora Bicycle Festival in two weeks and the annualMount Dora Craft Fair in the heart of downtown on October 28-29 with hundreds of craft vendors. Find more October events here.
- On September 30, the city abandoned the claim that the interpretation of van Gogh's "Starry Night" on a mural along Old Highway 441 was graffiti. Although the painting contains no words or symbols, code enforcement had also deemed it an illegal sign. The magistrate hired by the city agreed and now the homeowners can appeal to the circuit court.
Mount Dora's Ghost Walk, a guided tour through some of the city's historic haunts returns for four evenings this month. If you want to get your spook on while strolling downtown, here's your chance. Read more
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and is supported by local events like the Pink Out 5k in Tavares on October 19 and The Bra-Vo fundraising exhibit in the gallery of Mount Dora Center for the Arts. Residents can see the Bra-Vo exhibit and vote for their favorites during the gallery's regular hours or at the public artist reception on October 13 at 6pm.
- Want to know what's happening at Mount Dora City Hall, but don't have time to attend meeetings? Get brief and informative city council updates on all the most relevant topics here.
Scroll down for all the new restaurant and store news.
- Local residents that want to show some love to the struggling people of Puerto Rico can drop off non-perishable food donations, toiletries and baby products to Las Palmas Cuban Restaurant daily from 9am to 11pm. The restaurant is located at 351 N. Donnelly Street, downtown.
- Shout-out to local restaurants The Olive Branch Mediterranean Bar & Grill and Magical Meat Boutique for stepping up after Hurricane Irma to provide assistance. The Olive Branch hosted a food drive and Magical Meat fed volunteers that helped clean up downtown. Caring acts across Lake County make it an awesome place to live, work and play.
- Discovering the area's restaurants is easy. Check out the
local dining guide with restaurants in Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis to learn what options can satisfy your cravings. You might find a new favorite! Read more
- Sugar junkies will rejoice with another venue to satisfy their cravings. Watch for a newcandy store to open its doors in downtown Mount Dora. Stay turned to Mount Dora Buzz Facebook page for an opening date and more information.
- Mount Dora Buzz readers voted for the"Best Store to Buy Gifts," the "Best Customer Service" and other favorites. If you haven't checked out the winning businesses, maybe it's time to pay them a visit. Read more
- Want to support local stores, but don't know where to start? The local guide to shopping will help you find what you need. You can also find the guide on the Mount Dora Buzz' free mobile app. Download it here.
NEWS IN A NUTSHELL