Downtown's Children's Christmas in the Park with Snow featuring free sledding and ice skating for kids. Everyone is encouraged to bring a canned food item for Lake Cares Food Pantry. For more local holiday events, click here.
- In 2015, downtown Mount Dora's Historic Train Depot, celebrated its 100 year birthday. You can find an interesting and quick timeline of Mount Dora history here.
- The tiny white church on the south edge of Mount Dora has captivated residents' hearts for years. Mount Zion Primitive Baptist church was originally built in 1896 and has a rich local history. An article about it and photos are available here. The church has fallen on tough times so a
community-wide fundraiser to preserve it is in the planning stages. Meanwhile, the historic landmark is also in need of new front doors, so anyone or group that can help provide the church a set for Christmas please contact us here
- Every year residents and visitors look forward to what is arguably the best holiday light display in Lake County. Mount Dora Boating Center's marina has maintained and funded the tradition for 19 years. Read more...
- The public chose the winners of downtown's annual Holiday Window Competition. This year there were three categories including most creative store window, best use of lights and best restaurant decorations. Read about the winners here.
- If you want to support local businesses this holiday season, but don't know where to start, check out the Mount Dora Gift Guide for easy reference for everyone on your list. Get the guide here
- A new Indian restaurant is planning to open on 5th Avenue downtown in the space next to the new coffee spot Coffee Branch Cafe. At time of publication, the build out had not yet begun. Stay tuned toour Facebook page for an opening date.
- The Fun Bus has been rolling down the streets of Mount Dora, Tavares and Eustis since early November. The new tour bus experience will be a positive and light-hearted experience for passengers. Read more... and see photos.
- The new convenience store, Green Apple Market,
opened in Renaissance Building downtown last month. The store stocks everything from snacks, milk and over-the-counter medicine to coffee and cold drinks.
Click here to get your free monthly issue of all the local scoop and events...
- The city is looking for developers of Tavares Square, a new project in the heart of downtown on Main Street.
- Bru Tap House, a craft beer bar opened at 143 E. Main Street. The owners want it to be a fun, cozy place to relax and enjoy outstanding craft beer.
- Tilley's Tavern & Grill opened last month and is serving up everything from burgers and wings to mahi and ribeye. It's locaed at 31 E. Magnolia in the heart of downtown.
- New owners of Thai Sushi Americatook over recently and have done some interior upgrades and added some traditional Thai dishes to the menu. The restaurant is located at 925 N. Bay Street.
- A new bar and restaurant is planning to open in the former home of Rhythms on Bay Street. Stay tuned to our Facebook page for an opening date.