- As reported by Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook, The Travel Channel was recently in town filming for an upcoming episode of "Hotel Showdown" which will feature Mount Dora's own Adora Inn on Tremain Street. In each episode four different independent hotels square off against one another by spending the night at each other's property and awarding points for every aspect of their experience. The winner of each episode will receive a cash prize. The hour-long show will appear this spring. Stay tuned to 'The Buzz' for the air date and interviews.
- Sports and burgers fans are thrilled with the opening of Beef O'Brady'slast month in Mount Dora. The casual restaurant and sports bar is located in the Stoneybrook Publix Shopping Center on US 441.
- Take one last stroll under the Christmas lights at Donnelly Park before they're gone for the season. The city is scheduled to take them down following The Mount Dora Arts Festival on Feb. 7 & 8.
- Tennis anyone? The improved tennis court is open at Donnelly Park, along with 3 new pickleball courts. Pickleball is a cross between tennis, badminton and table tennis. All courts are open 7 days a week, so grab your racquet!
- Health Basket is scheduled to open in its beautiful new and bigger digs at US 441 and East Crooked Lake very early this month and features an expanded grocery section, juice bar and large supplement section.
- The Spice & Tea Exchange, a Florida-based chain of stores, is scheduled to open a downtown Mount Dora location on February 7. The Donnelly Street store will feature spices, sea salts, teas, rubs and complementing kitchen accessories. Among the other Florida locations are St. Augustine, Tarpon Springs and Winter Park. For more information on the new store read the article at www.MountDoraBuzz.com/interviews
- The Doors of Mount Dora, a vivid pictorial of interesting doors and gates within the city, was very well received last month. Residents can continue to nominate their own unique doors or their neighbor's for future editions. If you didn't get a chance to see the first edition you can view it at www.mountdorabuzz.com/doors-of-mount-dora
- A Mexican restaurant, Plaza Guadalajara, will be opening soon on US 441 in Mount Dora across from Ace Hardware. Stay tuned for an opening date.
- A new Key West style eatery Tiki West Raw Bar & Grill, just opened in the former home of Tasso's Cajun restaurant on the ground floor of Lakeview Inn at the Tavares waterfront. The menu ranges from raw oysters to Caribbean inspired dishes.
- Meanwhile, watch for new management and a new name for theLakeview Inn as it becomes part of a franchise. It will be re-brandedKey West Resort on Lake Dora and should give the Tavares hotel added exposure. Its new pool is scheduled to be open this spring.
It's amazing what wonderful things you can discover locally. Here's just a few fabulous finds to share:
- Take the family out for fresh strawberry picking at Oak Haven Farms in Sorrento and Long and Scott farms in Zellwood.
- The customer service at Gold in Art jewelers is hands down the best in town. (Donnelly St., Mount Dora)
- The calamari served with sweet chili sauce at Oudom Thai is delish. (5th Avenue)
- The one-a-kind, handmade lamps at Zen Cowgirl are very creative, affordable and different on every visit. (411 N. Donnelly St., Mount Dora)
- The Gourmet Spot brand candied jalapenos from Julieanne's Coastal Cottage are absolutely addictive. (135 E. 4th Ave, Mount Dora)
This month's shout-out goes to the enterprising folks at Adora Inn on Tremain Street. They single-handedly brought national exposure to the area by securingThe Travel Channel's visit to their boutique-style inn. The hour-long episode will bring additional tourism and economic development to the area. We'll keep you posted on the episode's air date.
Copyright Mount Dora Buzz
Get more local news throughout the month at