- Mount Dora City Council gave Epic Theaters the green light to proceed with their planned 12 screen cinema between Target and Walmart on US 441. Next step in the process is for design plans to be submitted and approved.
- Ross Dress for Less, the discount apparel, accessories and decor store, is planning to open in the coming weeks. Watch Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for details. www.Facebook.com/MountDoraBuzz
- New restaurants have been opening in the area. The Chef's Pantryopened in the former location of Pine Island Grill in downtown Mount Dora and serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eustis' 1884 Restaurant & Bar on Magnolia Street opened to good reviews with lunch and dinner menus, homemade desserts and live music. It's the perfect spot for dinner before taking in a performance at Bay Street Theater. A casual outdoor eatery, Mount Dora Streat Corner, opened on the corner of Highland and 5th Avenue in Mount Dora across from Jeremiah's. The menu features hefty burgers, hot dogs, and wings. Additionally, a new Mexican restaurant, Plaza Guadalajara, will be opening soon on US 441 in Mount Dora across from Ace Hardware.
- Local talent David Oliver Willis will be making another appearance on the upcoming season of American Idol. The community is wishing him luck and hoping the third time is the charm!
- A planned development on the southern edge of Mount Dora, Gates of Mount Dora, was recently reinstated by the city council. The preliminary plans for the 12.21 acre, gated community with Lake Dora access call for 38 homes and 24 boat lifts. Current zoning allows for 6 single-family units an acre.
- There is now a local Uber car, the popular transportation method in over 200 cities. Locals can request a ride via their Uber mobile app. It's a helpful resource to have for New Year's Eve, rides to the airport or just a night out.
- Country Cottage Crafts has changed its name to Every Nook & Crannyto better reflect their updated mix of products. The downtown Mount Dora shop features over 70 local crafters and artists, including Lee Fusion Art Glass which was formerly in the Renaissance Building.
- Pony up your spare change. Pineapple Point, the lakefront land between Lakeside Inn and Evans Park, is for sale for $3.5 million. The 4.25 acres is zoned C2 commercial and has 870 feet of shoreline.
- In Tavares, Zac's Pressed For Time Cafe relocated to the Belton Building on Main Street and continues to serve breakfast and lunch.
Big shout out to Lake County! Its Bicycle Recycle Program reduces waste in the landfill and helps needy families get bikes for their children. Residents can pick up 1 free bike per household once a month at the county's central solid waste facility at 13130 County Landfill Road in Tavares. Hours are 7:30 am-5 pm,. Mon.-Sat. Bicycle donations are also accepted.
Copyright Mount Dora Buzz
Get more local news throughout the month at