Good news for cyclists, runners and local business! The highly anticipated Wekiva Trail bike trail was given approval by Mount Dora City Council to proceed to the next step. A public open house will be on March 17 from 5:30-7pm at the Community Building (520 North Baker St.).with maps and drawings on display. Read more.
The additional impasse Mount Dora's Epic Theatres reached with the city's Planning & Zoning department looks like it may soon be remedied by the city council so the project can begin the permitting and construction process. Watch for any updates on Mount Dora Buzz' Facebook page.
The February issue of Mount Dora Buzz featured the history of the Sydonie Mansion. This issue features the mansion's
present day restoration effort, current photos, interior and future tour information. Read more.
Kim Leinback, former city administrator to Temple Terrace, was selected as the interim city manager and began March 16. Meanwhile, Mark Reggentin, Mount Dora's Deputy City Manager, became Apopka's new community development director on March 21. In other government news, the city's water rate will increase 21.2 percent over the next two years to pay for system costs and fund capital projects. Electric rates will head down slightly.
Better late than never. The seasonal tradition of heading to the local U-Pick fields at Oak Haven Farms to snatch up fresh strawberries got off to a late start, . but now the fields are heading into peak season. Read more.
Love the adventure of camping, but not the thought of 'roughing' it and sharing a sleeping bag with six-legged friends? Well,'glamping'' may be perfect compromise for the princess in you. Find out this month when a glamping event takes place in Mount Dora. Read more.
It's not just for gearheads! Watch for Ferraris, Porsches, Mustangs and more to descend on Mount Dora. The Lake Dora Classic, a car show, returns to Mount Dora on March 5. Read more.
In case you missed the annual Mount Dora Art Festival last month, you can check out the winners here.
NEW BUSINESS BUZZ
- Get ready! The new Indian restaurant downtown, Shiva, is now expected to open on April 4 in its 5th Avenue location downtown. Read more.
- A new kid will be soon be on the block at 4th Avenue. Although, this newcomer to Mount Dora certainly isn't new to the culinary world, celebrity Chef Norman Van Aken is preparing to open Norman's 1921downtown. Read more
- A new home decor and gift store is opening on Highway 19A, Unique Furnishings Boutique will feature re-purposed furniture, vintage finds, as well as new lines of candles and jewelry.
- Quite a sight to behold, the Fun Busbegan its regularly scheduled tours in February after having a successful soft opening in November. Read more
- A new photography studio, Fury Gray Photography, will be opening early this month on 4th Avenue in downtown Mount Dora. The creative studio specializes in capturing children's authenticity in their images. Read more.
- Local businesses and job seekers now have a, complimentary local resource. Mount Dora Buzz's Jobs Board provides a helpful tool for businesses & job seekers in the Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis area. To submit a job opening, click here. To see postings, click here.
For more local news and articles click here.
- Residents are still smiling since Starbucks announced plans to open a storefront location with a drive-thru in the Shoppes at Eustis Village on US 441 and David Walker. Stay tuned to Mount Dora Buzz' Facebook page for updates.
- Eustis Heights principal, Rhonda Hunt, has made tremendous strides improving the school's academic performance and was rewarded by being named Florida's Principal of the Year. Congrats to her and all the Eustis Heights teachers andstudents for the improved scores! Read more.
Eustis' newest bar and club, Beach Bums, just opened in the former space of Rhythms on Bay Street, downtown. Read more. Read more.
- The large Goodwill retail store is coming out of the ground quickly at US 441 North of Donnelly Street (north of Lowes). Stay tuned for an opening date.
- After suffering major fire damage last year, Zac's Pressed For time has re-opened in the same location at 505 W. Main Street, in downtown.
- A new Italian restaurant, Dora Lago, is currently in the build-out phase in downtown Tavares. Stay tuned for an opening date here.
- Antique Boat Festival comes to the downtown waterfront later this month. Check out stunning, vintage teak boats and other at Wooton Park on March 18-20.
NEWS IN A NUTSHELL