Stay in the loop. Here's this month's news update for Mount Dora, Eustis and Tavares.
- After its sale last year and $600,000 in new renovations, the Howey Mansion is ready for its new role as a tourist attraction and exclusive event venue. After a decade of neglect, the transformation was no easy feat. Read more
- The scheduled sale of downtown Mount Dora's Sunset Building has displaced local artists scurrying for new studio space. The building on 3rd Avenue and Baker Street housed several artists' studios including Jane Slivka's. The award-winning acrylic painter will be relocating her studio to a space tucked inside a courtyard at 3rd Avenue at Donnelly Street later this month.
- A 15-foot gator now permanently graces the shores of Lake Dora near Mount Dora's lighthouse. The cast copper replica was the brainchild of two generous donors and was installed last week. Read more
- The City of Mount Dora was sued last week in federal court for allegedly violating the constitutional rights of the homeowners with the infamous Starry Night mural. Within 24 hours the federal judge granted a temporary restraining order against the city to stop the fines from growing until the court rules. Read more.
- Just down the road, Lake Eustis Museum of Art is hosting its fun Art-A-Fare event this month to help support local art and educational programs. The annual event is open to the public and features a happy-hour atmosphere with plenty of art, live entertainment, wine, craft beer, food, and more. Read more
- A new stamp at the United States Postal Service has a local connection. A Mount Dora photographer's image was selected to be among the handful of images in the series. Read more
- Fans of miniature golf will be happy to hear a Pop-up Art Golf Course will be open March 8-11 in Donnelly Park in Mount Dora. FunVenture teamed up with Mount Dora Center for the Arts and local artists to create the experience. Read more
- Plenty of healthy competition will descend on Lake Dora during the annual Dragon Boat Festival this month. Spectators can watch from Wooton Park as the crews race on the lake. Read more
- Want to know what's happening at Mount Dora City Hall, but don't have time to attend meeetings? Get brief and informative city council updates on all the most relevant topics here.
- Although many residents would love to see a Whole Foods in the area, they will have to wait a little longer for upscale stores. Another national discount retailer, Ollie's Bargain Outlet, will fill approximately 33,000 square feet of space in Eustis on Bay Street. Read more
- Recently, the sale of downtown Mount Dora's Cupcake Delights fell through. After closing its doors briefly in February, the owner of the popular bakery on 4th Avenue decided to reopen March 1. Local cupcake lovers are over the moon.
- Looking to shop for something locally? Depend on the Local Shopping Guide to help discover local stores and unique merchandise.
- There are tons of area events this month. Find the ones that will interest you on the calendar here.
Follow Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for breaking news. Get free monthly issues of Mount Dora Buzz with news for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis here. For more area news download the free mobile app.
NEWS IN A NUTSHELL