- As The Buzz reported in April, Epic Theatres is progressing with its 12-screen multiplex in Mount Dora. Although it's moving slower than movie-goers would like, the anxiously awaited opening is now scheduled for 2018. Read more
- There has been lots of speculation about the recent clearing of the parcel adjacent to the RaceTrac station on 441 near Wolf Branch Road. No formal papers have been filed and nothing is imminent, but there are some interesting clues. Read more
- There's great news for craft beer lovers on the horizon. Wolf Branch Brewing is hoping for a soft launch late this summer in Eustis. The family-owned brewery will also have an outdoor beer garden and brewery tours. Read more
- Tavares City Council unanimously voted on April 5 in favor of a proposal to replace the vintage train service. Look for the new excursion train to begin near the end of the year. Read more
- The weather is heating up and the splash park in Tavares' Wooton Park is the perfect place to take the kids. It's now open weekends from 10am-6pm. On May 25 it will be open daily until August 9. Then it will resume a weekend schedule until it closes for the season on September 30.
- The historic, 20-room Howey Mansion reportedly has a new local owner who plans to restore it for use as a special events venue. No word yet of the purchase price. The sprawling 8,800 square-foot, Mediterranean revival home was built in 1925 in Howey-In-The-Hills.
- Access tons of great local information with just a swipe of your finger. Mount Dora, Tavares and Eustis have a mobile app to keep you updated on local news, entertainment and events. It's available for iPhones and Android devices. Download it here.
- Later this month, movies will return to Mount Dora's downtown waterfront. The free movies under the stars will be once a month at Evans Park. The movies provide adults an evening out and are in addition to the monthly family movies at Donnelly Park. Read more
- When you want to know what's happening in Mount Dora, Tavares and Eustis, check out the local entertainment calendar. If you have a free entertainment event happening submit it to the calendar for free.
- Want to know what's happening at Mount Dora City Hall? Get brief and informative city council updates on all the most relevant topics here.
Scroll down for all the new restaurant and store news.
- As we reported last month, Mount Dora's live music mecca, Lost Parrot, closed its doors last month as the owners of the business sold the building and moved on to other interests. Read more. The building is getting close to signing a new tenant.
- Sadly, Magnolia Cafe in Eustis closed its doors last month. Stay tuned for an update as to what moves into the prime downtown Eustis location.
- Mount Dora Buzz is searching for the area's best happy hours. Email us your favorite and why it keeps you coming back!
- The Wave Asian Bistro, a casual eatery, opened last week in downtown Mount Dora. To the delight of ethnic food lovers, the opening marks the eighth sushi and Asian restaurant in the Golden Triangle area. The other additions within the last nine months include Momiji, Saigon Fusion and Some Hibachi.
- Can't decide where to eat out this weekend? No worries, just check out the local dining guide to help make your decision. Read more
- Cozy Nest, the home decor boutique on Donnelly Street, has a new owner. Dawn Turner, a long-time Mount Dora resident, purchased the downtown store last month. Stop in and say "hi".
- Harbor Freight, the discount tool store, opened last week in Mount Dora on Donnelly Street and US 441 in the old Publix space.
- Stay up to date on local news and events in the area with the convenient local mobile app. Download it here.
NEWS IN A NUTSHELL