- This month gorgeous wooden boats of yesteryear will once again line the shoreline at Wooton Park in Tavares. During the Sunnyland Antique BoatShow, hundreds of immaculate vessels will be available for drooling over throughout the three-day event. It you've never been, it's a must-see. Read more If you love sailboats, the Mount Dora Sailing Regatta is the following week on Lake Dora. The best spots to view the fleet of sails are Lighthouse Point and Palm Island. The 4th Avenue docks are closed for repair due to recent storm damage, so that vantage point is not available this year. Read more
- Mount Dora is about to get more artsy. Muralists and artists are being sought for paint four large trash compactor enclosures throughout downtown. The City is paying $1400 for each mural commissioned. Interested artists must submit their resumes and proposals by March 6. Read more
Eustis is calling on artists of a different kind. This month the city will once again host its annual Busker Festival where street performers from across the U.S. compete for cash prizes. Read more
- Anyone on a quest for fresh seafood and produce will find it at the Lake County Farmers Market in Eustis. The market is the biggest fresh produce venue in the county and happens every Thursday morning in Eustis. Read more
- A new Greek restaurant opened in Eustis in February. Gyro King is a small eatery that serves up traditional Mediterranean favorites. Read more - There's a new fitness option coming to the area. OrangeTheory Fitness is currently under construction in Mount Dora and will offer a different type of group fitness. Read more
- Good news for Lake County women. Impressive state-of-the-art mammogram technology will become available later this month when Serene Diagnostic Imaging Center opens in Tavares. Read more
- Visitors to the area will soon have another choice for accommodations. Home2 Suites, the extended-stay brand of hotels by Hilton, currently has a location under construction across from the Hampton Inn on U.S. 441 in Mount Dora. Stay tuned to Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for more information.
Scroll down for more 'Buzz' including cool local finds, news from City Hall, and a shout-out to a deserving local resident or business.
- Eustis' favorite waterfront park is getting some big improvements. Ferran Park is now closed while construction is underway. Some amenities and sections of some nearby streets are also closed. Read more
- City staff recently removed historic coping around family gravesites at Mount Dora's Pine Forest, a city-owned cemetery. The decision resulted in swaths of scarred earth and anger from residents. The practice has since been paused. Read more
- This month, Eustis voters were supposed to get their say on a referendum on the funding for the proposed new community/conference/sailing center. However, the vote has been postponed, possibly to August, due to an administrative error.
Want to know what's happening at City Hall? Check out Mount Dora Buzz' government page here
A huge thanks goes out to the late Kevin McMurray and his wife, Amber, for their overwhelming generosity in donating the funds for Mount Dora Police Department to get a new K9 pup. The department no longer had a K9 officer after the two they had retired due to health reasons in recent years and later passed away. The story behind the McMurray's donation is sad, yet touching. Read more