Here's a look back at the best of 2016 for Mount Dora Tavares & Eustis. No doubt more exciting things on the horizon in 2017.
1. EPIC THEATRES MOVE FORWARD This is likely the most anticipated project in the area. The state-of-the-art theater is scheduled to open later in 2017. Read more
2. CYCLISTS REJOICE! Wekiva Trail, the extensive bicycle trail that links the area to other trailheads, was given all the local approvals earlier this year. The project is in design stage and expected to take 5 years for completion. Read more
3. UNITY IN THE COMMUNITY The community came together to start preservation of Mount Zion Primitive Baptist Church and organizes first service there in over a decade. Read more
4. NEW DINING OPTIONS FOR FOODIES The area upped its culinary game this year with the opening of four excellent restaurants. Lago Dora opened in Tavares. Meanwhile, Shiva and 1921 started dishing it out in downtown Mount Dora. Momiji is the stellar addition in Sorrento.
5. LAKEFRONT GEM GETS POLISHED Eustis' Ferran Park improvements are impressive, and the city's new children's splash pad on the waterfront site is a big hit. Read more
6. UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT Mount Dora residents are reaping the benefit of new City Manager Robin Hayes, who has seemingly brought renewed energy, passion and vision to City Hall. Meanwhile, Lake County Schools will be headed by new incoming Superintendent Diane Kornegay from A-rated Clay County School District. Read more
7. THRIVING ART COLONY Mount Dora is cementing its place as a supportive community of the arts. This year downtown welcomed nine new artists' studios and developed Art Splash, a monthly event featuring artists and performers onto the sidewalks. Read more
8. SYDONIE MANSION OPENS FOR TOURS Although temporary, it was still a highlight of the year. Florida's oldest mansion opened for tours for nine days in December to give visitors a glimpse of the extraordinary property.Read more
9. MIRACLE FIELD OPENS IN TAVARES Lake County created safe venue for persons with mental and physical disabilities to play baseball or run track. The impressive field is one of over 240 in the country. Read more
10. THERE'S AN APP FOR THAT! Not to be left behind in the dark ages, Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis now have a mobile app for area news and events. Read more
11. NEW FESTIVAL ROCKED City of Eustis officials upped their game in May with the inaugural Eustis Busker Festival which attracted performers from all over the Southeast and tons of visitors. Read more
12. 15 MINUTES OF FAME The area got more than its fifteen minutes of fame when Adora Inn, a Mount Dora bed & breakfast, won a competition on the Travel Channel. Read more