Making Mom feel appreciated on her special day is easy in Mount Dora. Whether she loves a big brunch, breakfast in bed, a thoughtful gift, or an outdoor hike, this cheat sheet with helpful links can help you plan the perfect Mother’s Day.
1. BRUNCH & BREAKFAST
This is the first time Lake Receptions will be hosting a Mother’s Day brunch buffet, and they’re going all out. In addition to dishes like herb-crusted tenderloin, chicken prosciutto with fresh mozzarella and basil, grilled salmon, and ham with Jezebel sauce, there will be a saxophonist and a photographer providing family portraits for purchase. We're guessing you should make reservations soon.
If Mom prefers to order off a breakfast menu, the Rocking Rabbit Cafe next to Mount Dora Brewing is the place to be. Their eggs Benedict, blueberry pancakes and omelettes always impress. The free mimosa for all ladies is a great touch. For the mom that loves a hearty traditional British breakfast, Magical Meat Boutique is also offering moms a free Mimosa.
2. BREAKFAST IN BED
This year there is a foolproof way to serve Mom breakfast in bed. Cody’s On 4th in downtown Mount Dora is taking orders for take-out quiches in a choice of three flavors. A whole quiche and fruit cost $30 and must be ordered by noon on Friday, May 11. Mom is going to wonder how you pulled it off! Of course, if you would rather take her to Cody’s, they’re offering a $10 “all you care to drink” mimosas-with-entree-purchase promotion.
3. NOT YOUR EVERYDAY FLOWERS
They are a must on Mother’s Day, but they don’t have to be a big, costly bouquet. Noni at the Olive Branch is a Donnelly Street store that sells beautiful, blooming orchids at great prices. Dudley, one of the owners, will even tell you how to easily care for them.
4. RELAXING LUNCH
If Mom loves relaxing lunch, there is no shortage of places downtown. The delicious Italian fare at Olive Branch Mediterranean Grill makes it a great choice. Las Palmas Cuban Restaurant with its bountiful seafood paella and wide variety of authentic Cuban dishes also provides live music in the background, plus a free rose and specialty mimosa for mom.
5. THOUGHTFUL GIFTS:
Finding Mom thoughtful gifts in Mount Dora is a snap if you know where to start.
For the nester: Cozy Nest, an adorable downtown boutique has a section specifically for moms, like cute frames and signs. Their Face Plant line of soft, lightweight robes and sleep accessories are perfect for Florida summers
For the creative mom: If your mom loves non-traditional gifts, you’re bound to find something she’ll love at Every Nook + Cranny artist collective downtown. This large labyrinth of original art features everything from paintings and artisan jewelry to pottery and furniture made by local artists.
For the cook: For the mom that loves to entertain or whip up amazing meals, a gift from Mount Dora Olive Oil Company is a no-brainer. Not sure what to get? Their staff always make great recommendations.
For the sporty mom: Anyone that’s been to a sporting event recently knows there are plenty of moms in the stands. Ashley’s Flags & Sports Shoppe has tons of choices for Mom’s favorite collegiate and professional teams.
For the bling-lover: Lake Cares Food Pantry has 1000 raffle tickets available for a stunning 3.51-carat diamond necklace by Gold In Art Jewelers. The elegant tickets come with a printed explanation of the fundraiser, so Mom will understand the thoughtfulness of the gift and the necklace she may win.
For the lighthearted: Take a stroll into Julianne’s Coastal Cottage to find coastal decor, whimsical gifts and top gourmet food brands. They will even offer you a free wine smoothie sample while you shop.
For the shoe and handbag lover: After all, a girl can never have too many accessories. For a great selection of leather purses and shoes to add to her growing collection, head to Becker’s Best Shoes (formerly Donnelly Euro Footwear).
6. PAMPER HER
Moms take care of others all year. What better way to make her feel special than to provide some pampering. Saving Face Esthetics offers gift cards for luxurious and relaxing facials that will de-stress any mom. You can always throw in some bath bombs and soothing body butter from Naples Soap Company, too.
7. MOM’S TIME-OUT
No doubt, sometimes the daily problem-solver of the family just needs a break. If she enjoys her wine, grab a gift card from Maggie’s Attic where she can choose to use it on a glass or bottle of wine, a fun Wine Tasting Walk, or even a useful “wine purse.”
8. THE GREAT OUTDOORS
If Mom loves nature, exercise and the great outdoors, Palm Island Boardwalk is the place to take her after a Mother’s Day meal. The elevated wooden walkway winds through old cypress trees along Lake Dora. There are plenty of shady resting spots, too.
For more local news and events, sign up for the free monthly issue of Mount Dora Buzz here and follow Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook.
For more news in Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis, download the area's free mobile app. Free subscriptions to the monthly issue of Mount Dora Buzz are available here
A discerning sweet tooth can be tricky to satisfy. Mount Dora Buzz took one for the team and researched treats you don't want to miss. Make sure you save room for these top 10 local desserts (in no particular order). Just don't blame us for any added dimples.
1. It's impossible to decide between the chocolate croissants and homemade bourbon vanilla ice cream sandwiches at Le Petit Sweet. We've been unsuccessful leaving with just one item. (110 W. Fifth Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
2. There are no words to describe the Maple Bacon donuts made fresh daily by Donut King and sold at Hometown Market. Due to their addictive nature, they could become illegal any day now, so hurry. (401 Plaza Drive, Eustis)
3. The generous key lime pound cake and their infamous carrot cake are both made from scratch at Cody's on 4th. They're worth every pound they may add. Delish! (111 E. Fourth Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
4. Holy guacamole! The warm churros and vanilla ice cream from Eduardo's Lokos Tacos are large enough to share...but you won't. (226 W. Alfred St., Tavares)
5. There are tons of tasty ice cream options, but the most crave-worthy we discovered is the red bean ice cream at Saigon Fusion. It sounded odd, so we had to try and now it's a fave! (16700 U.S. 441, Mount Dora)
6. For those less daring, we found the best (and biggest) chocolate chunk cookies at Scoop's on 5th. Not only are they chock full of chocolate, the classic cookies are the size of your head. (130 E. Fifth Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
7. Hands down the best creme brulee is the classic at Goblin Market. Although sinfully rich, you'll finish every delectable bite. (330 Dora Drawdy Way, downtown Mount Dora)
8. The warm French toast donuts are worth standing in line for at Joy Donuts on weekends. Trust us...get three. One to eat right away. One to share. One to eat later with vanilla ice cream! (U.S. 441 & Wolf Branch Road, Mount Dora; weekends only)
9. No need for a road trip to Cafe Du Monde. 1921 serves warm graham beignets, the New Orleans version of fried dough, with tropical guava and key lime curds. (142 E. Fourth Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
10. Local favorites are always fresh cupcakes from Cupcake Delights. Overwhelmed by the selection? No worries, try the carrot cake, red velvet or Willis & Cream. (122 E. Fourth Ave., downtown Mount Dora)
'Like' the Mount Dora Buzz Facebook page for events, news and more for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis. Get Mount Dora Buzz on the go with our free mobile app. Click here for Apple app and for the Google Play app click here.
The News & Events Source for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis'
Think you can't do Mount Dora on a shoestring? Here are some ideas that won't cost you any beans:
1. Nature walk on Palm Island Board Walk
2. Art Splash (2nd Friday)
3. Movie in the Park (2nd Friday)
4. Sunset picnic at the lighthouse
5. A ride on Mount Dora Mountain Bike Trail
6. Disc Golf at Lincoln Avenue Park West
7. Cycling along Lake Shore Drive
8, Shady Walk along Lake Gertrude path
9. Wine & cheese at Evans Park gazebo
10. Tennis at Donnelly Park
'Like' Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for more local store openings, new restaurants, events and more. Get more news for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis here.