It’s much more than just talk. TED, a national nonprofit organization devoted to ideas and innovation, has a large following. People connect to their short, powerful online talks delivered by some of the world’s leading thinkers and doers.
Now the licensed local program, TEDx, is coming to Eustis on January 5 to bring people together to share a TED-like experience. The national organization provides general guidance and regulations for local organizers to follow.
Eustis TEDx, organized by Timothy Totten and Byron Faudie, centers around the theme of “kaizen,” a Japanese word meaning “change for good.” Applied to business, “kaizen” signifies continuous improvement. The event will feature a dozen local speakers and performers sharing their insights on the theme.
“The chosen topics include everything from creating a values-based company to finding new ways to end bullying, and from living tiny for a better future to the elasticity and resilience of the human brain,” says Faudie.
Totten credits Claudia Jean Virga, an award-winning speaker, with helping to narrow the speaker list to create the perfect mix for the first-time event.
The speakers and performers include:
· Andrew Bennett, owner and designer, Trekker Trailers
· Chantel Buck, president of, New Vision for Independence
· Ze'Sheica Carter, noted Lake County chef and executive director of Kitch'n Lyfe Skills
· Jennifer Dempsey, coordinator, Lake County Children’s Memorial Garden
· Heather Elmatti, professor, Lake Sumter State College
· Sean Jenness, philanthropist, archaeologist & trails expert
· Mark Johnson, professional speaker, author and founder, Life to the Brim
· Kim van der Sanden, owner of My Favorite Things
· Kellie Morgan, CEO, Home Companions Senior Care and founder of Business with Friends
· Marissa Patrick, M.Ed, CLC, career strategist, life coach, speaker & author
· Fred Sommer, president of Sommer Sports
· Bernie Vatter, president of Bay Street Players
· David Oliver Willis, singer & musician
TEDxEustis, will take place at the State Theatre in Eustis on January 5 from 9:00 am to 3:30 p.m. Tickets are $75 and include a continental breakfast and a catered lunch at a downtown Eustis restaurant. 100 tickets will be sold at www.tedxeustis.com.
For more news and events in Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis, click here. Download the free Mount Dora Buzz mobile app here and follow the Mount Dora Buzz Facebook page.
ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT