Here's this month's scoop for Mount Dora, Tavares & Eustis:
The completion of the new shopping center on U.S. 441 that will boast Aldi, Tijuana Flats and eventually Panera Bread as tenants is on track for this fall. Read more
- Craving seafood? This month brings the 2nd Annual Mount Dora Seafood Festival to town. The inaugural festival was an overwhelming success and this year's promises to be bigger and better. Read more
- After an extensive search and an initial field of 66 candidates for Mount Dora's city manager position, the city council voted 6-1 to extend an offer to Robin Hayes, currently Management Services Director at the city of Oviedo. Read more
- Locals were passionate about casting their ballots for the Best of Mount Doraawards in twenty categories including dining, bartenders, shopping and more. Did your favorites win? Read more
- Big improvements are coming to downtown Tavares including an 8-acre park with a series of ponds. The city broke ground on its Ruby Street project last month which also includes wooden bridges, improved streetscape and infrastructure. See renderings and read more.
- Later this month Mount Dora will host a screening of the decades-old movie that painted the town pink and almost made it famous. Honky Tonk Freeway will be shown at Elizabeth Evan Parks on August 19. Read more
- Some of the most desirable commercial property in Eustis went on the block last month. The three square blocks in the heart of downtown are prime for mixed-use redevelopment. Read more
Scroll down for all the new restaurant and store news.
- Saigon Fusion, a Vietnamese, sushi and hibachi restaurant, opened last month on U.S. 441 in Mount Dora on its border with Eustis. Read more
- Finally, after months of anticipation, 1921, the new Mount Dora restaurant of acclaimed chef Norman Van Aken, is expected to open on August 9. Read more
- Can't decide where to go this weekend? Check out the Best of Mount Doraawards to see who most impressed our readers. Read more
- Black Bear Smokehouse closed its Mount Dora location last month. Barbecue lovers will be thrilled to learn Backwoods Smokehouse and Grill will be opening in the same location next to Gold's Gym on 441. Read more
Scroll down for new area stores opening...
- Tavares residents are looking forward to a big convenience moving into town. Thenew Tavares Crossroads Publix is on track for the September opening. Read more
- A long time Mount Dora gift store,Whispering Winds, has made some cheerful updates and expanded its product lines into the outdoors, including paddleboards. Read more
- Need some news to perk up your day? Joy Donuts are now being sold atHometown Market in Eustis on weekends. The tasty treats are still available at Le Petit Sweet and the Joy Donut food trailer. Read more