- Different times call for different awards. The first-ever Best of Mount Dora "Take-out" voting occurred last month. The results are in and here are the winners. Stay tuned for the annual "Best of Mount Dora" voting later this summer. - Film lovers that are missing their nights at the movies can gather a group and head to Epic Theatres' new drive-in movies in Mount Dora. The multiplex began offering the retro-style entertainment last month. Read more
- Great news for Mount Dora's impressive live music scene. Downtown restaurants are once again featuring live performances of talent on their socially-distanced decks and patios. Watch the areas entertainment calendar as events start to reschedule.
- Mount Dora Buzz mobile app users, please hang in there. Recent OS updates have caused a glitch, so our tech gurus are working on it. It should be operating properly by June 20 and will be packed with added features. Users will need to download the app's update once it's ready. As always, the app is free.
The cities of Mount Dora, Tavares and Clermont have cancelled their annual Independence Day celebrations that include fireworks shows and parades. Mount Dora will announce plans for a future fireworks show and Tavares has rescheduled their celebration to Labor Day weekend. Read more - Mount Dora's public Lincoln Avenue pool opens June 1 through August 9. Open swim is every weekday from 11:30am to 4pm, Saturday 11am to 5pm and Sunday 1pm to 5pm. Eustis Aquatic Center has not set a reopening date yet.
- This is hardly a typical year for graduating high school seniors, but Lake County Schools revised their plans and are allowing all of the county's public high schools to have traditional ceremonies later this month. View details. Meanwhile, the cities in Lake County have recently hung donated banners in honor of their graduates. Read more
- Mount Dora once again has its choice of farmers markets. Mount Dora's weekly 2-day Farmers Market reopened at Renningers Twin Market on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am to 5pm. Mount Dora Village Market resumes on June 7. Lake County Farmers Market in Eustis will be closed through June.
- Do you need 'buzz' for your business? Enlist Mount Dora Buzz as your strategic partner to write your digital content, including web pages, blogs, email newsletters, social media, and more. Need graphic design? No worries, we do that, too! Get more info
- A new store opened in downtown Mount Dora last month. The Salty Mare is a small shop full of all things for the Florida lifestyle and the young at heart. Read more
- Watch for a friendly new shop to open this month inside the Renaissance Building. My Peaceful Treasures, formerly located inside the Marketplace, will soon open on the ground floor nearest the alley in the back of the building.
- A piece of Old World Europe has arrived in Mount Dora. The Backhaus Bakery & Deli specializes in authentic German and European breads and pastries, as well as a variety of deli meats. Read more
- Watch for some new businesses to come into downtown Mount Dora in the coming months. Prime space has been made available by the departure of some downtown retailers like Naples Soap Company, Soft Step Shoes, CappadociaArts and We're Nuts.
Mount Dora Brewing, a local favorite bar and eatery, has decided to take the summer off until at least August We'll keep you posted when their well-earned vacation is over.
Sadly, The Loft Bistro, the popular vegan restaurant in the Renaissance Building. has also closed its doors. They are currently considering some down-sized options to continue serving their loyal customers. Stay tuned.
- 1815 Mac and a juice spot are expected to open in Mount Dora Marketplace to fill some of the vacancies. Crave Bakehouse, Soft Step Shoes, My Peaceful Treasures and Cava Wine Bar are some of the businesses that have recently left the downtown retail and food venue.
Scroll down for more 'Buzz' including cool local finds and news from City Hall.
- Eustis will undergo some changes as construction begins on new downtown housing. Grove Park Tower, a five-story building with one-bedroom apartments, is expected to open in 2021 across from the library. Read more
- Mount Dora's newest development, Donnelly Woods, received approval at its final public hearing. The project located on Donnelly Street will be a mix of apartments and professional office space. Read more
For more local real estate articles, click here. Scroll down for more 'Buzz' including cool local finds, news from City Hall, and a shout-out to a deserving local resident or business.
- Mount Dora will be scheduling a fireworks show later this summer, in light of the cancellation on the July 4 fireworks. The City of Tavares rescheduled their celebration to Labor Day weekend.
- The deadline for voters to request a vote-by-mail ballot to be mailed to them for the August 18 primary is 5 p.m. on August 8. Vote-by-mail refers to casting a ballot received by mail or picked up at the elections office. In Lake County, a request for a ballot can be made online or via email, phone, mail, fax or in-person at the Lake County Supervisor of Elections office in Tavares. The completed ballot must be returned to the Supervisor of Elections no later than 7 p.m. on August 18.
- One of Mount Dora's leaders and business owners, Crissy Stile, announced her run for the Florida House of Representatives. Stile currently serves on the Mount Dora City Council and owns a downtown Mount Dora bookstore. Read more
Want to know what's happening at City Hall? Stay in the loop all month on Mount Dora Buzz' government page here
- Hot summer temps are here and so are the cravings for fresh salads. The gyro Mediterranean salad at The Olive Branch in downtown Mount Dora is a summer go-to and won't disappoint. If George is your waiter it's a bonus!
- Here's a find for the times. Emz on Fifth, the downtown Mount Dora women's apparel boutique, is now selling a popular new accessory. The corner shop on 5th Avenue now stocks the most comfortable face masks around and they're available in a variety of bold prints.