- It's been a long road, so to speak, but Tavares is ready to celebrate the completion of its big downtown drainage and beautification project. Read more. The city will celebrate later this month with a "Beats on the Brick," a street party.
- In accordance with the legal settlement, Mount Dora's "Starry Night" mural is now in the final stages of completion. This front portion will feature an interpretation of yet another Vincent van Gogh painting by a different local artist and professional muralist, Joe Starkweather. Read more
- After years of inactive sales, Lennar is breathing new life into Dora Parc, a subdivision on Mount Dora's southern border originally known for the oversized penguins at its entrance. Not only are the arctic birds long gone, but Lennar is bringing its resources to the project, located just a mile from downtown. Read more
- Good news for Lake County's animals. A new no-kill shelter will be built in Tavares to alleviate over-crowding at the current facility. Lake County Animal Shelter was given the no-kill designation in 2017 and has struggled with overcrowding ever since. Read more.
- Sadly, last month a local bicyclist was killed in a devastating hit-and-run on Clayton Street on the southern edge of Mount Dora. Read more. According to FHP, charges are pending against the local driver. The tragic loss of life serves as a reminder to drive and cycle safely on the area's dangerous rural roads.
- Eustis hit it out of the park this year with its new seasonal ice skating rink, Eustis on Ice. The small tented rink with real ice was a favorite with both little and big kids. In case you missed it, you can still hit the ice until January 6. Read more
- The City of Mount Dora officially acquired land for a parking lot on Third Avenue and Baker Street in downtown. The lot will eventually include restrooms and approximately 60 parking spaces. The exact number of spaces will be determined by the final engineering details. According to a city official, other parking options, including a garage, are still being explored.
- Any day now,Gilbert Park, Mount Dora's favorite children's park, will open its new playground which is nearing completion at the time of publication. Stay tuned to Mount Dora Buzz on Facebook for the announcement of the opening.
- Mount Dora's Northeast Community is hosting Unity Day on January 19, Martin Luther King Jr. weekend. A unity walk will be followed by a fun, family celebration at Cauley Lott Park. Read more
- If you want to know what's happening at Mount Dora City Hall and our local schools, head to the Mount Dora Buzz "Government" page for updates.
- Need more local info? Check the local bulletin board on Facebook when looking for recommendations, lost and found pets, employment opportunities, yard sales and more.
Copyright Mount Dora Buzz 2018
Scroll down for all the restaurant and store news.
- A new coffee house has opened in a familiar downtown Mount Dora spot. Serendipity Coffee began serving their special cups of joe last month and introduced something new onto the local coffee scene. Read more - One downtown Mount Dora watering hole just doubled the length of its bar. Las Palmas Cuban Restaurant. popular their food and 2-for-1 cocktails, can now accommodate more folks at the bar.
- In a blow to Lake County foodies, Camilo Velasco, the chef de cuisine at 1921, left the Mount Dora restaurant to join the culinary team at the acclaimed Ravenous Pig restaurant in Winter Park. He will rejoin 1921's former manager, Scott Geisler, who left in 2017 to return to the Ravenous Pig. Velasco's departure follows last month's announcement that celebrity chef Norman Van Aken had also parted ways with the downtown restaurant.
- If case you aren't all shopped out from Christmas or just love a great vintage find, the Antique Extravaganza comes to Mount Dora again on January 18 through 20 at Renninger's Antique Center with hundreds of dealers sprawled under the oaks. Read more A new collectibles store, Uptown Antiques & Collectibles in Mount Dora will have its grand opening on January 5. It's located at 245 S. Highland Street.