This year more people will celebrate July 4th with smaller barbecues with family and friends since Mount Dora and Tavares have postponed their fireworks and festivities until it's deemed safer in Florida for large public gatherings. Leesburg also cancelled their show. There will be fireworks over Lake Eustis on July 3 at 9:30.
- Lake County Farmers Market, the large hub for local fresh produce, just reopened. The large venue in Eustis is open every Thursday and offers a wide variety of fresh produce at good prices. Read more
- Good news for Lake Dora boaters. The 4th Avenue docks in downtown Mount Dora have re-opened to the public after repairs were completed. Even if you're not a boater, it's a great spot to enjoy Lake Dora's gorgeous sunsets.
- By now, everyone is likely aware of the increase of local COVID-19 cases. As a result, alcohol can't be consumed on-site in bars in Florida and Orange County requires face masks to be worn in public. That requirement includes face masks inside Stoneybrook Hills Publix, McDonalds and all the other business in that shopping center on Mount Dora's southern border. The Publix at Loch Leven Landing does not have the same requirement due to its Lake County location.
- Woohoo! Mount Dora Buzz's updated mobile app now ready to download. It's loaded with more useful features and local information than ever before and still has the area's full monthly entertainment calendar. You can download the complimentary app or its update here. It you don't have The Buzz app on your phone, you don't know what you're missing!
- Now is the time to get involved in your community. Mount Dora will have three City Council seats up for grabs in this year's election and they frequently are unopposed. The paperwork is available now and due back at City Hall on August 14 at noon. There are no experience or education requirements, but there are 10 helpful things to know when considering whether to throw your hat in the ring. Read more
- Do you need 'buzz' for your business? Enlist Mount Dora Buzz as your strategic partner to write your digital content, including web pages, blogs, email newsletters, social media, and more. Need graphic design? No worries, we do that, too! Get more info
- Drum roll, please. Mount Dora's popular British pub, Magical Meat Boutique, has not only moved into bigger digs, but also completely transformed its new downtown location into a warm and authentic British pub and restaurant. The friendly watering hole will open this month. Read more
- One familiar retailer re-opened its doors at a new location in Mount Dora. Naples Soap Company closed its downtown location in May. Now the Florida-based chain opened at a smaller location on Donnelly Street. Read more
St. Nick's Holiday Shoppe, which has a 3,000 square foot location in College Park, will soon open in the Donnelly Street space just vacated by Naples Soap Company and previously home to The Painter's Daughter. Watch for the space to be filled with decorated trees and more. - Downtown Eustis has a new spot for a good cup of joe. Foxtail Coffee, an Orlando-based chain, just opened a small location on Magnolia. Read more
- Tavares Chamber of Commerce and the City of Tavares just launched a helpful consumer confidence campaign to reassure patrons about safety measures at participating local businesses. Read more Mount Dora Buzz is initiating a similar consumer confidence program, Mount Dora Safe, available without charge to businesses throughout the city. Watch for details on MountDoraBuzz.com and its Facebook page.
- We're saddened to report the closing of The Cellar Door, the cozy wine bar on 4th Avenue that regularly featured live music in their friendly neighborhood setting. We wish them best of luck on their next creative chapter. Scroll down for more 'Buzz' including cool local finds, news from City Hall, and a shout-out to a deserving local resident or business.
- There's no escaping that it's election season. The deadline for voter registration in order to cast a ballot in the August primary is July 20. Get the information about the different ways to register here. - The deadline for voters to request a vote-by-mail ballot to be mailed to them for the August primary is 5 p.m. on August 8. Vote-by-mail refers to casting a ballot received by mail or picked up at the elections office. In Lake County, a request for a ballot can be made online or via email, phone, mail, fax or in-person at the Lake County Supervisor of Elections office in Tavares. The completed ballot must be returned to the Supervisor of Elections no later than 7 p.m. on August 18.
Stay in the loop all month on Mount Dora Buzz' government page here. Or scroll down for more 'Buzz' including cool local finds and this month's shout-out to a deserving local resident or business.